Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tuesday Fitness: Setting Little Goals

This is a little late in the day.  I typically like to post in the morning, or in the early afternoon after we've had our school time.  Today was slightly different, as the lack of bananas, milk, cereal, and bread necessitated our taking school on the go, in learning how to navigate a store, and how to pick out certain produce etc.  Life skills... that's what I'm talking about!


Weight-loss can be a very VERY long term goal.  We establish how much weight we want to lose, and we make strides baby steps toward that goal.  It can get overwhelming and frustrating to get to that goal.  Heck, I've had to start over twice now.  Its not easy.  We've established that.

But what about those little goals?  I'm not necessarily talking about losing five pounds in two weeks.  Like I mentioned yesterday, I think it can be debilitating to be so dependent on our weight.  I'm talking about the fitness goals that we can see ourselves achieving.  A new runner might find it hard to run the full length of a block, or a track.  When I was running, I had a predetermined point that I was sure I could reach.  I would start out, and I can't tell you how many times I wanted to stop before that point... and there were many times that I did.  But the point is in setting goals.  As you consistently work at reaching that point, you will find it easier and easier, and then you will be surpassing that goal!

For me, I am not running just yet.  But I do have my bike.  I've set myself a goal to peddle 3 miles.  That doesn't sound like much... but for me, that was quite the achievement, especially since last Tuesday (my first ride), I barely made it 2 miles without dropping on the floor when I got home.  Oh wait, I may have.

Each day has been easier and easier.  I've been very VERY sore, but that is the feeling of progress!  My little goal this week is to bike that 3 miles in less time than I did it today, which was 25 minutes pulling Baby K.  Yesterday was faster only because I did not attach the trailer.  After I got home, I drank a lot of water (it was hot out this morning), and I did a great ab workout!

Well, my new activity has me beat, so I'm sure I'll be in bed in no time!  My second little goal is to get up earlier each day, and go to bed earlier as well... You kind of need to do the latter in order to do the first.

How are you doing?  You sore?  What do you like to do to mix up your workout?

Evelyn

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Evelyn! After months on the couch recovering from an injury I too had to face the music and start over. Baby steps, baby steps, baby steps. I saw no results for about 6 weeks. It has been about 9 weeks now. As of my last weigh in I have lost nothing, but I have lost inches on my upper body. I have only missed one day working out in the last nine weeks. I finally figured out what works for me! I joined the YMCA and I take a different class every day. If something comes up that day during my class time I try a different class. I put myself at the front of the class so that sneeking out isn't an option. Maybe my weight will reflect my work ethic soon, but I feel fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had a dollar for every time I started over... I'd be wealthier than I am now! :)

    Nice work Beth! It can be very discouraging starting over. I love having a membership to a gym. Maybe one day I'll get another one! I wish there was a YMCA here. I've heard they are great! Keep up the good work! You are an amazingly dedicated person... I need a little more of that myself!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! If you have any homeschool goodies to share, feel free! I love comments! So keep them coming!