Monday, April 4, 2011

Curtis Family Theme

Some years ago (I say that like I am old-ha!), we were able to get to know a family that we learned so much from.  When I say we, I mean myself, Hoss, and the girls.  This family had a family theme, or motto.  When they shared it with me, I just remember feeling so inspired.  It was such a good idea, and a great way to instill good behavior and morals in children at a young age.

After that, I spent a day or two coming up with our own family theme.  I came up with so many thoughts and principles that I wanted to put in it.  However, it would be a few pages long if I had.  So, I went through and picked seven of the ideas that I felt were most important for our family.

Like our good friends, we began saying the theme together every morning after our family prayer and scripture study.  It didn't take long for a 4 year old Big T, and a 2(ish) year old Little H to begin memorizing it.  We have been saying it together as a family ever since.  And now we are excited to begin teaching it to Baby K.

The Curtis Family Theme States:
We treat each other how Jesus Christ would treat us.
We teach each other.
We know that we are children of God.
We pray together.
We follow the prophet.
We study the scriptures together.
We will leave no one behind.

I made a scrapbooked plaque to hang on the wall of our theme
Along with other members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, our family watched General Conference over the weekend.  As we were listening to the many inspirational talks, I began thinking about our family theme.  I felt like we needed to apply, and enforce those principles in our home a bit more.

To do this, I had the idea that we need to focus on each one of these principles, one at a time, for an extended period of time.  Starting today, we are focusing on the very first principle to "...treat each other how Jesus Christ would treat us."  We will focus on this one principle of our family theme for one week.  Then for Family Home Evening, we will discuss our experience and talk about how we can do better.  

Now, this exercise is not just with each other, but with every person we come in contact with.  I personally have issues with road rage.  So, I can work on not calling people names as I am driving, and probably speeding at the same time!

Next week we will focus on the second principle, and so on and so forth.  Our little program will last nearly 2 months.  Join us if you would like!  I would also love to learn about your own experiences with this plan, or with other similar plans!

I will touch base with yall at the beginning of next week!

Lastly, do you have a family theme or motto?  How has it helped you?

*************************************************
Update!  I finally published a new episode to Sora's Journey!  Come on over to the NEW URL for the blog, and read it!

Feel free to follow this blog, and Sora's Journey, and pass them along to your friends!

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a wonderful idea. When the kids were little we were often hard pressed to know what to do for Family Home Evening. This will be great and add a deeper meaning to the words.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! If you have any homeschool goodies to share, feel free! I love comments! So keep them coming!