Monday, October 15, 2012

Crunchy Cereal- AKA Granola

Ever since I was a little girl, my mom has made what I considered as THE best granola cereal ever.  We called it Crunchy Cereal.  I'm not sure if it is the official name, but I do know that my oldest brothers would sift through it to eat all of the "cruchies," leaving none for anyone else! ha ha... The cruchies are the clumps of honey, oats, and sugar.  Which is something that has carried over to my family.  Big T especially, and Hoss.... okay, and myself, loves to pick out the crunchies!  Really, all five of us like them...what's not to like?

So, recently, I was texting my good friend Shawna, and she mentioned that she was making granola
(something that I had been planning on doing too).  I just asked what she put in it..  She mentioned the same brown sugar, honey, oats, wheat germ, sunflower seeds (which I hate in crunchy cereal btw) etc.  Then she mentioned a few other ingredients that I had never thought of adding.

So, I broke out of the classic mold that consists of only oats, wheat flour, wheat germ, brown sugar, vegetable oil, honey, and coconut.  I let my creative instincts kick in!  Here's MY new recipe...which is THE best granola I've ever had.  Sorry mom.  I still love yours, and will always eat it.  But I'll be making this one from now on...especially since it is a hit with everyone here!

Hoss's stated, "It tastes better every time I eat it!" :)  If that doesn't tell you how awesome it is, I don't know what will!


Crunchy Cereal
1 42 oz container of quick oats (the big one)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups wheat germ
2 cups or so shredded coconut (If you've read my recipes before, you know I kind of guess on this type of thing.  It is about 8oz-1/2 pkg)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1-2 TBS cinnamon

1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla

1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup dried cranberries (raisins would ruin it... don't even try it mom!) :)

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
Mix the wheat flour, salt, and cinnamon in a separate bowl to combine thoroughly.
Be sure to store in an air tight container!
In a large pot, combine the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, coconut, and wheat flour mixture in a large pot.  Mix thoroughly until evenly combined.  
Make a well in the center of the oats mixture, and pour in oil, and in the same measuring cup, as to help the honey slip right out, measure and pour honey.  Next, add the vanilla.  Mix until completely combined.  
Cook for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes!


My next task is going to be creating a recipe off of this one in which I can make granola bars!  Yum!


Let me know how yours turns out!  Do you make it differently?  Yum!  Now that's comfort food!


What is your favorite food from your childhood?

Sincerely, 

Evelyn



 

1 comment:

Thanks for reading! If you have any homeschool goodies to share, feel free! I love comments! So keep them coming!