Monday, November 5, 2012

Moving On....Finally

Like I mentioned in the last post, I have a love/hate relationship with Halloween.  I hate being scared, but I always trick myself into watching some kind of scary movie that I later regret.  My active imagination has me up in the middle of the night scared!  Its ridiculous really!  I know better!

Anyway...

As Halloween draws closer, I usually start feeling anxious.  No, not because I'm scared..but because I'm ready for it to be over.  I think I feel like Halloween is the official barrier between summer and the holidays.  I LoVe the holidays!  Thanksgiving, Christmas, my anniversary and birthday...its the best time of year!  It is the time of year that I get to focus on some of the most momentous things in my life.  Christ, my wonderful soulmate/best friend/husband, my blessings, and I get to do it while thinking of extra ways to serve others.

To me, it feels like the months drag on, and as soon as fall comes around the corner...they speed up.  I wish they could slow down just a bit, so we can enjoy them more!

Something that I am missing from Idaho:

I found this gorgeous pic of the
Idaho Falls, Idaho LDS Temple with the fall leaves!
Photo Via
-The beautiful golds, reds, browns, and orange colors that you find at this time of year.  Here in South Easter New Mexico, you tend to see a variation of two colors.  Green and brown.  It holds its own beauty...but nothing makes me yearn for the Holidays like the changing of the leaves.  Right now the leaves are still green...but starting to yellow.  (Family---I wouldn't mind a beautiful picture of say...fishcreek? :)  I'll post it here on the blog!).  The first fall that I was here in SW NM, I had a hard time getting into the Holidays because the colors didn't drastically change.

Something I am loving here in New Mexico:

This photo was taken outside of Albuquerque, NM
So gorgeous.  I LOVE Albuquerque!
It might not be red, and golden, but it is beautiful!
Photo Via
-The weather is getting chilly, but it is bearable.  We might see some snow, we might now (I won't mind either way).  The weather is cool enough to get me in the mood for the Holidays!  I wish I could send you (my family in Idaho) a bit of this 20 degree warmer weather to you!


I think this is the first year that I have become so VeRy excited about Christmas!  Our teeny tiny house is going to be decorated!  We get to buy a new tree this year... and there are so many ideas I have for decorations and traditions!  This year, my friends.. we are upping our game on the tradition front!

Today, I made a very tasty cake to share with some friends who invited us over for dinner.  I made it last year, and Hoss took some to work the next day.  Some of his co-workers had a taste, and one of the contracted me to make 3 cakes for him!  It has become a Thanksgiving staple for us...so I HaVe to share it with you!  The lovely thing?  It has some healthy ingredients in it...yet it is sweet enough to be tantalizing!  I got my pumpkins roasted and pureed just in time to have fresh pumpkin in it!



Pumpkin Cake

1/2 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 tbsp flaxseed meal (I have never added this...just because I didn't have it on hand)
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger

In a medium bowl, combine oil, vanilla, honey, sugar, eggs and pumpkin. In another bowl, combine dry ingredients, mix well, then combine with wet ingredients. Mix until blended. Bake at 350F in a greased round cake pan for 25-30 minutes. Top with cinnamon cream cheese frosting, below.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:
3 ounces cream cheese
6 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp milk
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Combine ingredients and beat until smooth.

Make it!  You won't be sorry!  I promise!  

Happy fall!  Happy November!  And Happy Holidays?!  Is it too early to say that? 

Sincerely,

Evelyn Curtis

1 comment:

  1. We made this cake and it was AMAZING!! Love you Evie You are pretty cool!!
    sincerely,
    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! If you have any homeschool goodies to share, feel free! I love comments! So keep them coming!