Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Thanksgiving Menu

Approximately 5 or 6 years ago, I cooked Thanksgiving all by myself.  This was in Idaho, and Hoss and I thought that we needed to do it and invite a few friends who we knew didn't have anyone to have Thanksgiving dinner with.  So, I embarked on my very first turkey, my very first...everything on my own!  I had made pies before (thanks to Mrs. Hogan in homec)!

Back then--and ever since, I have used one of those roasting bags to roast the turkey, along with a disposable roasting pan.  Its an easy way to never have to baste the bird, and it has always come out juicy and delicious.  In my opinion, its a fail safe way to make a successful turkey.

I believe I should be able to get it at Kmart!
This year, we were invited to a family's house in our ward here in Hobbs.  After discussing it, Hoss and I decided that we would remain in our own house, and do our own Thanksgiving dinner.  I think I'm so into the spirit of the season, that I'm going to make it formal and make everyone dress up!  Shhh!  Don't tell Hoss... he might not like it at first!... but the girls will love it!

Since it will just be my own family, I thought it would be a great time to experiment on roasting the bird for real!  No bags!  I'm even going to get a nice roasting pan with a wrack in order to be successful!  Want to see the one I'm going to get?

There is also one tool that I really REALLY want to get... so I'm hoping I can find one (I don't think we'll be able to order it in time after payday.  But I make gravy enough, that I'm sure it will be very useful!  Have you ever used a fat separator?  It lets you drain the meat drippings from the bottom of the container, leaving the fat on top.  Its amazing, seeing it in action.  You can see one in the video linked below.  This is the one I have my eyes on.  Nice, right?
Here is my tentative menu:

Turkey (of course)
Mashed potatoes and turkey gravy
Stuffing
Romain salad
My sister-in-law's very delicious recipe for sweet potatoes (I'll eat no other)
Asado:Photo via
Asado, a Mexican dish of pork cooked in a spicy red chile sauce.  Most people who have amazing family recipes will not share every ingredient.  They'll usually leave something out.  (If we can find the coveted recipe--The Mexicans around here don't share their recipes)!  This is what it can look like.  You eat it with tortillas, sour cream, cheese, lettuce, and tomato... or you can just put it on your plate or in a bowl on the side.  It is delicious, and Hoss really wants to add it to our traditional Thanksgiving!


Veggie tray for an appetizer and to keep the kids from withering in hunger

Dessert will consist of pumpkin pie, apple pie, and pumpkin cake.  Its a lot... but we love leftovers here!  especially after slaving away for so long to make an amazing meal!

I also plan on making a little snack of roasted cinnamon almonds!  Yum!  I've never made them, and face it... some things we find on pinterest just don't work out.  This one... I'm hoping does!



This is the method of cooking the turkey that I plan on using!  It looks so delicious!  I can't wait!



I am hoping to start a new Thanksgiving tradition.... what exactly... I don't know yet.  That will have to be another post I think!

What is your tentative Thanksgiving menu?

I'm so Thankful for my little family!  I so thankful for my extended family!  I am so blessed!

What is on your Thanksgiving menu?

Sincerely,

Evelyn






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! If you have any homeschool goodies to share, feel free! I love comments! So keep them coming!