Sunday, November 11, 2012

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Unlike my last post on making pumpkin puree, roasting pumpkin seeds has been a tradition for so many years in my family.  We all love them, and they are fun to make!

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Ingredients
Pumpkin seeds (rinsed)
Salt
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Any other seasoning

When you are carving your pumpkins, make sure to not throw out those seeds!  I like to separate them from the pulp and immediately put them in a colander.  I then rinse them well.  While they are still in the colander, but drained, I will salt them really well.  This year, I used some garlic powder too!  I have heard of using cajun, or cayan pepper... but since my girls like to eat them, I like to make sure I use seasonings that they enjoy too!

Preheat the oven to about 200 degrees.  I've read many different temperatures.. but 200 is my favorite.

I usually spread some olive oil all over the cookie sheet, to help prevent sticking.  I also drizzle about 1 TBS olive oil and mix it into the seeds with the seasoning.  Pour on the cookie sheet, and try to spread evenly.  Place in oven and let roast.  I usually stir them around every 20 minutes.  Cook them until they are white with a little golden around the edges.  It usually takes around 40-60 minutes.  If they aren't cooking fast enough, just turn up the heat to around 250.

Enjoy!

Sincerely,

Evelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! If you have any homeschool goodies to share, feel free! I love comments! So keep them coming!